MinD POPPING facts

For Conversation

Pimento Cheese Popcorn.png

Popcorn History Facts

  • Evidence in Peru suggests that popcorn existed as early as 4700 B.C., making it one of the oldest forms of corn
     

  • Orville Redenbacher began popping corn in 1919 when he was 12 years old, and built what is now the world's #1 Popcorn brand

  • In movie theaters, for every dollar spent on popcorn, about 90 cents is profit
     

  • Native Americans not only ate popcorn, but they made beer and soup out of it too

Popcorn Consumption Facts

  • Americans eat about 17 billion quarts of popcorn annually, which is enough to fill the Empire State Building 18 times
     

  • About 70% of popcorn sold in America is eaten at home, with the other 30% eaten at movie theaters, sporting events, etc.
     

  • By volume sold, popcorn is America’s favorite snack food
     

  • Americans produce and eat more popcorn than any other country
     

  • Nebraska produces more popcorn than any other state at over 250 million pounds per year

Sea Salt Caramel Popcorn.png